Business Unit / Group Function:
Thabazimbi, South Africa
Experience / Work Type:
Entry Level / Permanent Employee
10 February, 2023
Closing Date: 10 February, 2023
The Boilermaker Plater needs provides engineering technical service to an underground area. Maintain, install and commission of the machinery and equipment to an agreed standard in the area of responsibility.
Be part of the team. The team that makes it happen.
Anglo American aims to lead the future of mining. Guided by our purpose and our values, we enable both high performance and purposeful action as we strive to “re-imagine mining to improve people’s lives”.
Our Platinum business mines, processes and refines the entire range of platinum group metals (PGMs): platinum, palladium, rhodium, ruthenium, iridium and osmium. We are the world’s leading primary producer of PGMs, which have a range of specialised applications that improve lives across the world from vehicle fuel cells to jewellery; dentistry to glassmaking; pacemakers.
Your day-to-day duties will include:
- Attend and conduct Safety meeting
- Conducts and participate in risk assessments
- Allocate tasks to subordinates
- Attend to Breakdowns and emergencies as required
- Ensure that material, spares, and equipment are available as required
- Ensure proper and adequate on the job training and coaching is provided to subordinates
- Exercise judgment with regards to replacement of components
- Maintains a high quality of work
- Records results of all legal examinations in the appropriate format
- Works in a sequence that prioritizes work requirements
- Completing job cards and description of work and spares used (PM’s)
- Performing work to the required standards and specifications
- Applying appropriate tools to complete tasks
- Ensuring effective teamwork
- Identify potential conflict situations and minimize the implications of possible conflict
- Ensure that subordinates have clear work expectations and plans
- Conduct on the job induction
- Support, coach and participate in the training and development of subordinates and apprentices
- Effective two-way open communication with subordinates and line supervisor
- Report at risk behavior, incidents, and injuries
- Interacting with other departments
- Advising defects and abnormalities to appropriate supervisor or manager
- Recommend employees suitable for career developing
This role is in the Technical -Engineering Operations Department at a band C2 level role reporting to the Foreman Mechanical.
- Grade 12 with Maths and Science subjects or N2 (4 Subjects – Trade specific)
- Certified Competent as Boilermaker
- 18 months’ previous experience as a Boilermaker
- English literate (speak, read and write)
- Must be able to do standby and overtime
- Must be familiar with risk assessments procedures
- Valid driving license code 08
- Basic Computer Skills
If successful, you will be required to undergo a Medical Fitness Test
Who We Are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet? That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies.
As the custodians of coal and other precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
What We Offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.