Business Unit / Group Function:
Burgersfort, South Africa
Experience / Work Type:
Entry Level / Permanent Employee
21 March, 2023
Closing Date: 21 March, 2023
Here is an exciting opportunity for you to join Anglo American (Mototolo Mine) as a General Miner with a legal accountability for construction blasting in terms of the MHSA.
Be part of the team. The team that makes it happen.
Skilled colleagues and motivated teams are the life force of Anglo American because – guided by our purpose and our values – we enable both high performance and purposeful action as we aim to “re-imagine mining to improve people’s lives”.
We are the world’s leading primary producer of PGMs, which have a range of specialised applications that improve lives across the world – from vehicle fuel cells to jewellery; dentistry to glassmaking; pacemakers to petroleum refining.
The General Miner has a legal accountability for construction blasting in terms of the MHSA and will be required to contribute and assist the mining team with the execution of all tasks relating to the role. The role for a General Miner is varied in the mining structure from moving men, material and ore to construction within the mining domain.
The role will supervise a crew in fulfilling its specific activities, with a timeframe of 6-12 months.
Responsibilities will include (but not limited to):
Effective logistics role during a shift. Ensure that safety is maintained
- Ensure that the working areas are safe through inspections.
- Ensure that safety and mining standards are adhered to.
- Ensure that up to date operating standards and procedures are communicated, applied and understood by the team.
- Manage explosives and prepare blasting area to standard to ensure safe effective blasting.
- Monitor and correct the process regularly to ensure conformance to and understanding of standards.
Allocate work schedules and tasks to team
- Ensure crew team delivers quality work so that progress remains to plan
- Continuously liaising with supervisors and team
- Continues liaison with the Shift Supervisor or Shaft Foreman in relation to operations and maintenance activities
Good employee relations
- Effective two-way open communication with team.
- Ensure that team members have clear work expectations and plans from day to day and week to week
- Control discipline and ensure fair decisions regarding Employees Relations matters
Effective administration of necessary systems
- Compile an accurate shift report and forms to record operational progress and material orders
- Ensure that required job instructions and checklists are available to the team members
Support overall operation of the section
- Identify opportunities to improve operational performance in the section.
- Highlight areas of concern to management
- Grade 12
- Valid Blasting Certificate for Scheduled / Hard Rock Mines
- 1+ year experience as an appointed Miner /Crew Captain
- Trackless or Bord & Pillar mining experience will be advantageous
Knowledge and skills
- Good verbal and communication skills in English
- Must have a driver’s license and own transport
- Computer proficiency advantageous
- Must be prepared to work overtime and public holiday when required
- In possession of a Medical Certificate of Fitness or able to obtain one
Who we are?
Anglo American is a global diversified mining business. Our portfolio of world-class mining operations provides the metals and minerals that make modern life possible. We use innovative practices and the latest technologies to discover new resources and mine, process, move and market our products to our customers around the world.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications.
Anglo American / De Beers Group collects and processes personal data in accordance with the relevant regulations.
By applying for this job, you provide consent that your personal details, including your fingerprints, can be used to conduct background screening where appropriate.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
Closing date 21 March 2023