Miner Business Unit / Group Function:
Kumba Iron Ore
Postmasburg, South Africa
Experience / Work Type:
Entry Level / Permanent Employee
17 May, 2023
Closing Date: 17 May, 2023
Miner Company Description
The Role is responsible to execute all delegated blasting tasks to ensure sufficient floor stock, safe and cost-effective blasting and monitoring of the crew’s outputs on the blast bench; safe declaration of the pit prior to and after blasting.
Be part of the team. The team that makes it happens
Guided by our purpose and our values, we enable both high performance and purposeful action as we aim to “re-imagine mining to improve people’s lives”, delivering the metals and minerals that make modern life possible – from mobile phones to medicines.
Kumba Iron Ore
We produce high-grade iron ore, the key component in steel widely used in construction and manufacturing across the world. Our activities include all aspects – exploration; mining; processing and blending; shipping; marketing and selling. In South Africa, we have mining operations in the Northern Cape province, as well as a head office in Centurion, Gauteng, and a port operation in Saldanha Bay, Western Cape.
As a Miner: Blasting, your responsibilities will include:
- Floor Stock Miner (Executed blasting tasks), Drilled holes (primary and secondary blasting) are measured according to plan to determine accurate quantity of explosives and accessories.
- Accurate quantity of blasting accessories are obtained from the explosive magazine. Blasting holes are charged with the prescribed explosives to ensure required fragmentation.
- The blasting area is inspected for misfires & unsafe conditions after the blasting operation & declared safe for normal operations. All surplus and damaged explosives are destroyed after each blasting operation according to the Mine Health & Safety Act
- Blasting report is compiled and forwarded to the supervisor within agreed. Exercising control over explosives
- Exercising the necessary control over activities so that it does not have adverse effect on the environment and the immediate community for example ensuring the right amount of charge to minimise vibrations and the impact of blasting on the community especially flyrock).
- Outputs are delivered within the agreed timeframes & add value to the business.
- Observe and enforce any codes of practice; any instructions, procedures, directive, permissions, exemptions etc. issued by the mine, the Department of Mineral Resources or any other person who is authorised to do so.
- Good housekeeping standards are maintained.
- Equipment is cleaned with the appropriate tools. Cleaning activities are also performed beyond allocated area
- Assistance is provided to the supervisor & co-workers when required or instructed, Assistance is provided in accordance with own level & area of competence. Assisting the supervisor actively in continuous improvement projects
- Assure full compliance to the Health Mine and Safety Act
- Exercise control over the explosives to be used for blasting;
This role is in the Mining department on a band 8 level and reporting to the Supervisor Blasting.
- Grade 12 /N3
- Open Cast blasting certificate (Obtained before 2017, DMR required after 2017)
- Valid Kumba Dover (Advantageous)
- Explosives Engineering skills (Advantageous)
- Valid Driver’s License
- 2-3 Years Previous Mining Experience (Open Cast)
- 2-3 Years Blasting Operational experience.
- Technical skills (Advantageous)
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Who we are?
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet, that means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process