Safety Officer Underground Business Unit / Group Function:
South Africa – Platinum Group Metals (PGMs)
Thabazimbi, South Africa
Experience / Work Type:
Entry Level / Permanent Employee
17 October, 2023
Closing Date: 17 October, 2023
Here is an exciting opportunity for you to join our Platinum Business as an Safety Officer where you will be responsible for the development, implementation and management of safety and risk control programmes, as well as ensuring legal compliance and provision of a safety advisory and reporting service to the Operational Unit or Area.
Safe. Smart. Sustainable. Probably not the first words you typically associate with mining. But Anglo American is not your typical mining company. Safety Officer Underground
Anglo American is a global diversified mining business. Our portfolio of world-class mining operations provides the metals and minerals that make modern life possible. We use innovative practices and the latest technologies to discover new resources and mine, process, move and market our products to our customers around the world.
Our Platinum business mines, processes and refines the entire range of platinum group metals (PGMs): platinum, palladium, rhodium, ruthenium, iridium and osmium. We are the world’s leading primary producer of PGMs, which have a range of specialised applications that improve lives across the world – from vehicle fuel cells to jewellery; dentistry to glassmaking; pacemakers to petroleum refining.
The Safety Officer is a legal appointment in terms of regulation 2.17.1 of the Minerals Act.
Focus areas for this role include:
- Collect and analyse safety data.
- Short range Operational Unit planning.
- Stop work if unsafe and facilitate accident investigations.
- Carry out statutory inspections (30, 25, 90 days).
- Compile safety reports and verify compliance to safety systems.
This role is in the SHE department at a D1 level reporting to the Chief Safety Officer.
You will be required to have:
- Grade 12 or N3 equivalent.
- Blasting Certificate for metalliferous operations or a relevant Trade Test is required.
- Courses in ISO 14001 and 45001 Safety Management Systems is required.
- SHEP Safety training completion would be advantageous.
Knowledge, skills and experience required: Safety Officer Underground
- 3 Years relevant experience as a Safety Officer and /or acting as a Safety Officer within a UG Mining (Mechanized and Conventional) environment is required.
- Presentation / Facilitation/ Training.
- COMSOC I & II or equivalent, SAMTRAC & OSHAS 18 001.
- ITIS/Train the Trainer.
- Auditors courses for Safety and Risk Control management.
- Risk Assessment Techniques: (SWIFT, HAZOP and FMECA).
- Accident investigation (ICAM/RCAT/SCAT).
- Fire (Intermediate fire – FPA) and First Aid.
- Computer literate (MS Office and Projects).
Who We Are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet? That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies.
As the custodians of coal and other precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
What We Offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package.
But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programmes, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer.
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
How to Apply
To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.