Career Opportunities: Mine Overseer Production (116813)
Requisition ID 116813 – Posted 05/10/2023 – South Africa – Free State
Ref No: 116813 Career Opportunities
Closing Date: 24 May 2023
OME: EMI: Mining, Sigma Colliery
City / Town: Sasolburg, Free State
Org Structure No: 80027041
Role Category: Execution
PURPOSE OF JOB / ROLE INTENT
Provide the leadership required to create high performance teams – capable of reaching all the their targets, as well as to do the coaching required for the teams to function successfully without supervision. Execute the statutory duties according to Regulation 2.14.1
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Grade 12 with Maths, Science & Eng/Business Eng
Certificate in Blasting for fiery mines, Gas Testing, Competent A
Mine Overseer Certificate of Competence
Code 8 driver’s license
Minimum 3 years total relevant Mining Experience / Production / Production Services experience in Mining Industry
BTech Mining or Mining Degree or Diploma with 12 months’ work experience as Shiftboss during the Candidate Engineer time period with Mine Overseer Certificate or a Mine Managers Certificate of Competence for Coal Mines.
CORE ELEMENTS OF JOB AND KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
1. (Safe Production) – Manage and carry out tactical strategies on a day to day
basis that ensure that departments KPI’s are met –to produce safe coal tons / cm / shift
– Availability of Equipment Downtime / shift / MTTF /MTTR (infrastructure and in-section equipment)
– Adherence to Overhaul / maintenance program – plan vs. actual
2. Implements operational projects, ensures operating compliance, develops and
implements engineering Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) in appointed area of responsibility
– Ensures adherence to Operating principles and legislation
– Compliance to governance bodies (standardisation committees)
– SOP / COP implementation and adherence
3. Assess economics / engineering viability of non-major engineering business
cases and provides specific, in-section expertise and coaching
– Total cost of ownership (TCO)
– % delivery against OE initiatives
4. Carry out condition monitoring programs in appointed area of responsibility.
– Compliance to Condition monitoring program schedules.
– Failure trend analysis and root cause elimination
– Execution of Predictive Maintenance recommendations (backlog)
5. Safe Production – Support departments to achieve set targets by coordinating planning within appointed area of responsibility
– Rand per ton (R/t), Tons per CM per shift (t/cm/shift)
– Volumes vs. monthly TQF (Including Quality)
6. (Finance) – Control costs to ensure production volumes are achieved within budget
– Delivery against budget and reporting calendar vs. target
7. (SHE) – Ensure best in class safety performance and continuous improvement of key safety metrics to maintain required RCR
– SHE compliance rates vs. targets (especially major findings), % outstanding actions on findings
– Zero harm, Zero fatalities, LWDCR
8. Recruitment, training, coaching and career development
– Vacancy rates vs. Staff Establishment (vacancies incl. Absence due to TSD / PSD), AWOP, Successors for critical positions
– Key role turnover rate vs. industry average, absenteeism, employee engagement and enablement score (%), Tons/man/year, Monthly bonus targets
– Training days for department
– Planned Task observations
MAJOR CHALLENGES / PROBLEM SOLVING
– Supporting the mine in delivering on safe production within the budgeted allowances for engineering maintenance , balancing production targets with maintenance practices.
– Managing relationships between the mining and engineering departments.
– Ensuring that the various sets of legal requirements and engineering principles are met with in the operational environment.
– Influx of new technology that requires highly skilled workforce to manage the complexity. The management of service providers operating in the area of responsibility,
providing sufficient supervision.
– The management of the procurement and supply side of the operational environment
This position has a 2.14.1 legal appointment and is accountable for managing the operational solutions and governance within the area of appointment at a mine within a highly regulated industry.
Remote locations+A64ations, Equiment and infrastructure are underground and may be located over a wide area, the availability must be managed to ensure production targets are met.
Complex interfaces with contractors and suppliers also exits.
Information from various sources needs to be analyzed, interpreted and integrated to make trade-off decisions in the best interest of the area of responsibility
LEADERSHIP BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES
Shapes business strategy
Drives accountability and high performance
Fosters teamwork and collaboration
Role models customer focus
Leverages diversity and inclusion
Nurtures and coaches
“Please note that the Sasol Group / Sasol Mining will never request you to make cash deposits / cash payments as part of the recruitment process”
Sasol is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Inspired by our Purpose of “Innovating for a better world”, Sasol acknowledges that diversity is intrinsic to the fabric of our organisation and is the key to our growth and success. Sasol is committed to the full inclusion of all suitably qualified individuals. Preference will be given to applicants from designated groups and people with disabilities according to Sasol’s Employment Equity Plan. This includes reasonable accommodation to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential job functions.